repeltec

© 2020 by Repeltec™

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black YouTube Icon
Search
  • Tom Sam

Repeltec™ vs. Permethrin textile treatments

Updated: Mar 26


IR3535 ® vs permethrin

If you are familiar with Permethrin you know it is a pesticide designed to kill insects, this doesn't sound great to wear on your body does it?


Although there are treatments that are effective in protecting you from biting insects the long-term effects of wearing Permethrin are not completely clear.

We at Repeltec™ believe we have found a perfect alternative to Permethrin textile treatments by using Ethyl Butylacetylaminopropionate. It is not just us claiming that ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate is the safer alternative. We have collected some quotes for you, but please visit the sources to get a better understanding of the differences.


Here are some quick facts collected from the sources used:

1. ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate breaks down if absorbed into your body, even used as a lotion. Permethrin builds up and can not be used as a direct skin application.

2. Permethrin has a strong smell where Repeltec™ is odourless.

3. Aquatic life: ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate shows no toxicity. Permethrin is highly toxic.

4. Skin irritation: permethrin causes irritated skin. ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate does not.

5. Cancer causing: ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate does not cause danger. Permethrin’s long term effects are not known but it is assumed it might cause cancer.

6. ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate is safe to use around pets. Permethrin could be leathal for small animals like cats.

“There is no concern for adults, children and infants using the biocidal product (spray/lotion formulation containing 15% ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate) “


“No toxic effects where observed during the acute toxicity studies on fish (Brachydanio rerio), Daphnia magna and algae (Desmodesmus subspicatus) (LC50 <0.1 g/L). Therefore ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate is considered as not toxic for the aquatic environment.”


https://circabc.europa.eu/webdav/CircaBC/SANTE/BPR%20%20Public/Library/Review%20programme/Draft%20CARs/pt_19_repellents/Doc%20I_public.pdf


Permethrin is highly toxic to fish and other animals that live in either salt water or fresh water. Permethrin is low in toxicity to birds, but some aerosol products made with permethrin may also contain other ingredients that can harm birds if they inhale it. Permethrin is highly toxic to bees and other beneficial insects.


http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PermGen.html


“Permethrin can affect insects if they eat it or touch it. Permethrin affects the nervous system in insects, causing muscle spasms, paralysis and death. Permethrin is more toxic to insects than it is to people and dogs. This is because insects can't break it down as quickly as people and dogs. Cats are more sensitive to permethrin than dogs or people because it takes their bodies a long time to break it down.


When people get permethrin on their skin, they may have irritation or tingling, burning and itching at that spot. If permethrin gets in the eyes it can cause redness, pain or burning. If people eat permethrin it could cause sore throat, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. People that have breathed in permethrin have had irritation in the nose and lungs, difficulty breathing, headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.”


http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PermGen.html



This is the reason why we wanted to develop a better alternative to Permethrin. Want to know more? Contact us at info@repeltec.com



10 views